Friday, August 24, 2012

Health Insurance While In Costa Rica

One of the top things on my to-do list is to make sure that I have health insurance while I'm not in the country.  I was planning on just using the local "Seguro" in Costa Rica, but my boyfriend inquired about me obtaining this coverage, and they said that it is difficult for me to get it.  Basically you need to have a Visa or be married to get it. 
After hearing that, I called a few insurance companies here in Ontario who were very helpful with me.  I explained my situation - that I'm leaving the country.  I'm not sure for how long.... It could be for 2 months or 2 years, and I would like health insurance while I am gone.  I learned a lot of stuff that I wasn't aware of.  First off - your OHIP is only valid for 212 days if you're outside of Canada, and for any insurance company in Ontario to cover you, you need valid OHIP.  All of the policies are a year in length.  They directed me to OHIP / Service Ontario, and told me that I can ask them for an extension on my OHIP.
So this weekend, I'm off to Service Ontario to (hopefully) get my extension... And the quote that I received for Health Insurance really wasn't that bad... and I think it's worth it in the long run.
Almost there..... :)


No comments:

Post a Comment